Digging Into Ancient China!

One of the major units we would cover beginning in January is our Ancient China unit. This was a pretty lengthy unit in that I find teaching cultures to be a lot of fun but it can be a lot of material to cover in just a few weeks. In my history with teaching Ancient China I’ve found that my kids LOVED it - from learning about their history and traditions to how we celebrate Chinese American culture here in the U.S. It’s just a lot of fun!

Happy New Year everyone!

One of the major units we would cover beginning in January is our Ancient China unit. This was a pretty lengthy unit in that I find teaching cultures to be a lot of fun but it can be a lot of material to cover in just a few weeks. In my history with teaching Ancient China I’ve found that my kids LOVED it - from learning about their history and traditions to how we celebrate Chinese American culture here in the U.S. It’s just a lot of fun!

A packet that I’ve created has been the proven way to keep all of our learning in one place. It also begins early note-taking skills, which I think are extremely important! I’m surprised at how well they learn to take notes and locate information for themselves. And who says we can’t mix some language arts skills into our social studies units?? :)

My student workbook consists of the major topics we cover during the unit:
  1. Geography (Where In the World? and The Land)
  2. Climate
  3. Written Language (Calligraphy)
  4. Inventions
  5. Contributions (The Great Wall)
Plus some fun topics that adds to the engagement of learning about the Ancient Chinese culture:
  1. Silk
  2. Chinese New Year
  3. The Zodiac
  4. Clothing and Hair
The best part about this updated workbook is that it now includes a teacher copy with all the answers! My first edition didn’t include that and it was my top feedback so I listened! I hope you enjoy!

One of the major units we would cover beginning in January is our Ancient China unit. This was a pretty lengthy unit in that I find teaching cultures to be a lot of fun but it can be a lot of material to cover in just a few weeks. In my history with teaching Ancient China I’ve found that my kids LOVED it - from learning about their history and traditions to how we celebrate Chinese American culture here in the U.S. It’s just a lot of fun!

One thing I added to this revamped version of my packet is an optional student brochure project. I found my first year teaching 2nd grade I had some pretty high students in that they loved being challenged and grasped the content pretty quickly. So, I created a project that can either be done with the whole class or as extra credit for those thirsty for more.

One of the major units we would cover beginning in January is our Ancient China unit. This was a pretty lengthy unit in that I find teaching cultures to be a lot of fun but it can be a lot of material to cover in just a few weeks. In my history with teaching Ancient China I’ve found that my kids LOVED it - from learning about their history and traditions to how we celebrate Chinese American culture here in the U.S. It’s just a lot of fun!

I’ve included a parent letter explaining the purpose of the project, an info page for students explaining what’s expected, and a rubric. I’ve also added blank templates of these forms so you can edit them to fit your classroom’s needs!

This download also includes fun videos and other resources you can use throughout the unit in addition to the workbook.

I’ve loved this unit since I first began teaching it and I hope you find this resource helpful in tackling the content!

No comments

Thank you for sharing!