Five for Friday {August 15}


It's Friday again already and that means Doodle Bugs Teaching is hosting their weekly linky! I love linkies because it gives bloggers a chance to share out their favorites from the week- both teaching and non-teaching related. I just love reading what everyone else has going on! Here's my five randoms from the week....

1.
New blog design! I'm sure you've noticed already that the little blog here has gotten a little brighter. I was searching for a design that was light, refreshing, and easy on the eyes. I loved the design I had before but, like anything else, I needed a bit of a change. I had noticed that many of the popular teaching blogs use the same designer and although their blogs look fabulous I didn't want to order something that's been done already...by everyone. Plus I don't have $130-$200 in my budget to pay for a custom blog design. So, I went looking and I found Shiny Magic Design who does cuuuuute blogger designs for only $35. Needless to say, it was so easy to install and I am very happy with my final blog layout! Be sure to check her out the next time you want to spruce up your own blog!

2.
The hubs and I will be new parents!! Not to a baby...not yet...but to the cutest little guy on the planet. We just adopted a mini dachshund puppy and the best part: he's a Texas boy just like my husband, haha :) We don't have a name for him yet but we are leaning towards Murphy and he arrives at the end of the month. I just fell in love with him immediately and I can't wait to meet him! We loved the name Murphy for a few different reasons...first, we are nerds and love the movie Robocop...and second, we met at an irish bar in town called Murphy's Irish Pub. ;)

3.

Ordinal Numbers. This is amongst the first number sense skills that I taught at the beginning of the year. I love introducing this concept whole group and getting the kids up and moving! Here are a couple ways I have used these cards in the past:

1. At the beginning of the year I love having my ordinal number posters displayed at the front of the classroom so that the kids are exposed to those math words all year long. I know this is a horrible picture since it's sooooooo tiny (sorry!) but at least it's some kind of visual.

2. Then as a mini lesson I have the owl cards laid out in a line either on the board or the carpet. I introduce the concept that ordinal numbers tell the position of objects, people, etc. These positions have names and we can write them in two different ways: using words or numbers. I do the first couple owls to model how I am matching the number cards to the position of that particular owl. Then, I do the same for the word cards and reference the wall above the board so students know they can reference that throughout the year. You of course can then encourage students to help you finish identifying the number/word cards to the rest of the owls in line.

3. Another way to use these cards could be 
  1. After you've introduced the concept you give number/word cards to students have them stand in line mixed up. Have them work together (without talking maybe as a challenge???) to figure out how they should order themselves correctly. 
  2. Use the cards and leave spots missing and have students figure out what card needs to be placed where.

4. Lastly, these cards can also be used in centers or small groups to practice or reteach the concept of identifying the ordinal numbers.

Easy peasy!
4.
This week for date night the hubs and I went to go see Guardians of the Galaxy and it was amazing! We loved the story, characters, the humor but also emotion...overall we were very entertained. I know we're a bit behind in the movie department but one of my students gave me a gift certificate for AMC as an end of the year gift so we used those this week. 

5.
A job interview popped up yesterday for a 3rd and 6th grade position! Needless to say, I am very excited about the opportunity and the (hopeful) possibility that I'll get back into the classroom...better late than never, right?! But, the only hangup is that the hubs has a job interview as well next week and if he gets it that means we'll be moving to California. So, as excited as I am about both prospects....if we move I'll, of course, have to decline the teaching job here. Ugh...life sometimes sure does throw you some curveballs. But, nonetheless, I am excited about both opportunities and we shall see what happens!

Be sure to link up yourself with your random fives from the week!!

3 comments

  1. Love your blog! I'm also a 2nd grade blogger and I love finding new people to follow! I'm looking for a new blog design on a budget so I'll definitely check out your designer! Thanks!
    On the Go Teacher Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog design! Good luck with your job search- I have been doing the same this summer.

    Allie
    http://thepositiveteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your job interview! What a tough position... my advice is to leave it in God's hands, but I know that is easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!