Must-Read Monday Linky!

What a weekend getaway! I had SO much fun visiting the beautiful California with my love while he is out that way for work (darn Air Force always whisking him away!). With the long weekend I'm glad we were able to make it work for me to come out but it definitely makes things hard when you have to say goodbyes at the airport. Luckily I get him back on Friday so I can't pout for too long ;)



But, here's a little linky I'd like to share this evening...
Wow, what a linky to be a part of! Amanda from Teaching Maddeness has started up  a brand new linky that allows bloggers to share the books they are reading, whether it be professional, pleasure, or read-alouds in their classroom. I love celebrating reading and getting a few teachable ideas never hurt as well!

The book I am choosing to share is one of my all-time favorites and it never ceases to amaze me how much fun my kids have when reading this story! They are glued to the characters and anticipating what will happen next...and best of all, it provides rich literary learning opportunities for my little learners. Of course I'm talking about Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
The kids beg for me to keep reading and find the story hysterical (as do I!). Dahl always does a wonderful job of characterization and I love blending our character traits lessons (inside and outside) with this read-aloud. I also like opening up my students to other authors since they get stuck with the Mary Pope Osbourne's or Jeff Kinney's. I definitely noticed a few Roald Dahl books in my kids' book boxes after we concluded the first book. So neat! The kids also have some background information that they bring to the conversations such as the movie. Having read the book and discussing how it is similar and different really helps drive home the point that often times the book is SOOOOOO much better than the movie. 

Also...
Another book that I wanted to share very quickly is one I am personally reading for pleasure. I don't get too much time to myself for reading but I definitely make an effort. After having my nephew for a long weekend a few weeks ago we took him to my parents house where he watched Jurassic Park for the very first time (and he loved it!). My mom remains an avid reader and offered me her copy of the book to borrow and I seriously have difficulty putting it down! If you are a fan of the movie, I am mean who isn't, then I definitely recommend the book!! I haven't finished it yet but I look forward to reading what happens next...
I can't wait to catch up with everyone in the linky to see what great books they have to share!

2 comments

  1. I've been reading George's Marvelous Medicine to my second graders and they are loving it! This is the first chapter book we've read this year as we've focused a lot on nonfiction text. I gotta remember to start earlier in the year with chapter books. There's just such little time in the day!

    What I Have Learned

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten that Jurassic Park was also a book. Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the best!! When I was teaching 4th grade one year, we did a Roald Dahl study where each group read a different book of his. We had that book, James and the Giant Peach, BFG, and Fantastic Mr. Fox (which is great for lower readers - third grade level)!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!