Predicting and a new Reading Workshop Pack!

Man oh man has it been busy over here! Between trying to keep my sanity, get enough rest, fighting of seasonal allergies AND beginning to prep to move I've definitely had my work cut out for me this week. So sorry I've been a little MIA lately but I am excited to share with you all what we have been up to this past week.

Reading Mini-Lesson
This week we have transitioned into learning about predicting within our reading. Now that we are comfortable with identifying the story elements, I am beginning the discussion of using information we find in the text and pictures to help us make 'educated guesses' of what might happen next in the story.

Today I read the story Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, which is about a donkey named Sylvester who loves to collect rocks. One day he happens upon a magic rock  that grants any wish he makes when holding it. It's a great story (even great for story elements review such as problem and solution!) that allows students to use what they know to make a prediction. We discussed how predictions are never really wrong- but we want to make educated predictions based on what is given to us in the story. My kiddos had fun with this one :)


 To assist with this reading unit I've created fun and easy-to-use graphic organizers! I've also included the handouts I've made for story elements and even a fun Story Element foldable that can be glued right into your students' reading notebooks! Along with this pack I've also included 2 publishing pages for your kids' writing prompts: My Summer Vacation and My Teacher's Secret Life.
As a mentor text for the Teacher's Secret Life prompt I used Stephen Krensky's My Teacher's Secret Life. It's about a student who shares what they think the teachers do after all the students leave for the day. It's a cute and funny story that is sure to spark the imaginations of your writers!
 

1 comment

Thank you for sharing!